Monday, April 4, 2011

P365 - Day 94 10 murray street

If you've spent any time in Hobart, you've probably seen this building.


It's 10 Murray Street, also known as the State Offices. Currently home to public servants, it was built in the late 1960s.


I'm not an expert on architecture in any sense of the word, so I don't know a lot about the building, other than it is apparently the only example of its style in Tasmania. I believe what primarily makes it unique in Tassie is how the building's frame is on the outside of the structure. It is a style that I understand is common in Eastern European countries.

Lil Sis studied the building as part of one her classes at university, so she's a much more familiar with its history and features than I am.

The building is connected to Tasmania's Parliament House, and it is proposed to demolish it, and other surrounding buildings to create a new Parliament Square precinct.

Not everyone supports the plan, and the group Save 10 Murray has been set up to lobby against the demolition of the building and also the old Government Printing office at nearby 2-4 Salamanca Place.

If you Google 10 Murray Street Hobart, you'll find out a lot more about this building and the proposed development.

Here are a few pictures of the building that I've taken recently.









So what do you think - hideous eyesore or architectural gem?

5 comments:

  1. You've made it look really cool!!
    LMW♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are cool but its still an eyesore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hideous eyesore!(louattheend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with that 360 degree photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It was central to the view from my hospital bed recently.I looked at it for weeks and watched it change with the day. I no longer take it for granted. To those who say eyesore, I'm not here to change your mind but to invite you to look a little bit harder next time. I certainly overlooked 10 Murray until it was at risk.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I know you hate having to type in the words as much as I do, but I am being furiously spammed, so I've had to reactivate that feature. If you're a real person I'd love to hear from you :-)